Sunday, June 18, 2006

A World Cup Classic

I would write a longer entry but I am in Belgium and the keys on the keyboard are not where they are on an English keyboard so bear with me...

A classic...one for the ages...at least for US Soccer. The scoreboard had it as a tie but everyone in Fritz Walter Stadium on Saturday night knew who won the match between Italy and the US. Thats right. I wont discuss the first game against the Czechs. They beat us handily, we looked terrible, and thats that.

But last night we dominated and as much as I hate pointing at officials every once in a while you end up with a ref who uses his control of the game, or lack thereof, to influence the outcome. It happened last night and on a stage like the Weltmeistershaft (World Cup in Deutsch) it is the greatest of travesties. The Italian fans knew it too. Not a smile amongst the throngs of them after the game. They knew they were outplayed and snuck out with a point.

I think one of the most unbelievable parts of the evening were the US fans. Sure, there may only be 20,000 soccer fans in America but they were all there last night and in my area we stood and cheered the ENTIRE game. That does not happen in any American sport and it was outstanding. The only time I have ben a part of such enthusiasm like that in America was during my days at Notre Dame when the students would stand for the whole game. I am sure it was a great game on TV but to be there, truly awesome.

One more game left for me and I am hoping for a win and at least one goal scored by a US player before I leave. But I will have the memories of the Italy game for many years to come and wow, what a game!

1 comment:

Hovan said...

Awesome man, I am jealous, that was a great game. I am actually skipping out on a job in Iowa to leave early in time to watch the game tomorrow. Too bad it will be in beautiful HD instead of Beautiful and live......